Individual and Group Lessons – Each student receives a weekly private lesson and a group lesson. My studio has group class on Tuesday afternoons. For available times for individual lessons, please contact me.
Dog Friendly – Every student who wishes to study with me will have to be a dog-lover. I have a devoted, playful and intelligent goldendoodle that will greet everyone that comes through my door with a lot of energy. She will settle down once you come in for your lesson, but anyone who has dog allergies or phobias should probably consider taking from another violin teacher. For a list of other qualified teachers in the area, go to this website.
Illness Policy – I know how much your child will enjoy coming to lessons and never want to miss a day, however, in the event that you or your child becomes sick, please keep them home until symptoms are improved at least 24 hours. Children are unable to benefit from education and may infect others. I ask that you adhere very strictly to this policy in order to keep myself and other students who visit the studio healthy.
Cancellations – I will reschedule any lessons that I miss for any reason. I will attempt to reschedule any lessons that the student misses due to a legitimate reason such as illness or a conflict with school events. Please give me 24-hrs notice in such events. For missed lessons, we have a couple options:
- Schedule a make-up lesson.
- Record a video of your practice session and share it with me via Youtube or Dropbox. I’ll record a lesson video for you in response. This is also a great way to get feedback on your practice methods.
How Much Work Is It? – The Suzuki Method is a lot of work, but it is the best kind of work. It is the kind that makes you feel like you’ve really accomplished something and you have the results to show for it. This is what is expected of each parent/student “team”:
- To listen to the CD (background is fine) at least 1 hour a day.
- To practice ONLY on the days you eat, which for most of us is every day. For beginners, a minimum of 30-45 minutes of practice a day will suffice. Like most things in life, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. Practicing for Suzuki students is a family affair – parents are the at-home coaches and are an essential part to daily practice.
- Lessons are also a family affair – the at-home coach (parent) also attends the individual lessons to take notes and help take the information learned into the home-practice.
What Are the Ages of Your Students? – The optimal age for beginners is 3-6, but I enjoy teaching students of all ages. I also welcome transfer students. I believe strongly in the ability of all students and set high expectations for follow-through which is a skill that is extremely important not just in music, but also in life.
Tuition – Tuition holds your weekly time slot in my teaching schedule throughout the year and includes all weekly group and private lessons. You are required to pay for your reserved time whether or not you attend the lesson. Tuition is payable monthly due the first lesson of the month prior. Please check the tuition calendar posted in the studio each month. If it’s more convenient for you to pay tuition several months or a semester at a time, please let me know and I’ll prepare an invoice. Payment may be made by check, cash, or via Venmo (send payment to email@example.com).
Year-round study is imperative for student progress and is split up into the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. Students are expected to participate in all semesters. Those who do not continue summer lessons will not have a guaranteed spot in the Fall. Tuition is half-priced for the month of December as lessons will only be given during the first 2 weeks of the month to accommodate for the holidays.
Location – I teach out my home, which is located in the Pleasant Ridge area of Cincinnati, Ohio.
How Do I Start?
- Get to know as much as you can about this amazing Suzuki method here.
- Read Nurtured By Love by Dr. Shinichi Suzuki (available at your local library, or online.)
- Purchase Suzuki Violin School Volume 1 – Revised Edition (Book & CD) and start listening to the CD immediately (available at your local music store, or online.)
- Contact me about beginning lesson observations and scheduling a first meeting.